On the occasion of her fourth birthday (a few days late)....

Emma,
When you were an infant I remember staring at you, wondering what you would look like and who you would be. You are beautiful, with dimples by your nose and dreamy long hair that has yet to be cut. You look alot like your dad, as strangers like to remind us. Sometimes when the sun hits you just right I think I catch a glimpse of you all grown, though I prefer you little.
You are a good, good girl. I can take you just about anywhere and know you will behave, and despite our little struggles with sharing your things and the dreaded dentist, I would describe you as an easy child. You have a sass that comes out when there's something you want or something you don't want to do, but it quickly subsides and you're back to your normal sweet self. You brighten our days with your silly antics, sweet words, and kind demeanor.
Everyday you make us laugh. You are always happy, joyous, full of life. You come up with the funniest things, and your dad and I (and anyone else who crosses your path) comment on how cute you are multiple times a day. I've recently started a jar filled with little notes of the cute things you say so I won't forget. You are very sweet natured, constantly telling us how much you love us, and how happy you are. Tonight you told me you love me just right - two times you told me. You love princesses, dressing up, and in the same beat you will drop kick your dad and head outside to dig for worms.
You can be shy, but it doesn't ever last long. The best part is that you forewarn us you are going to be shy when we arrive somewhere, so we're always prepared. You are a homebody, and prefer to be home with your dad, Eva and I. You don't do sleepovers and often say "it feels so good to be home." You are a very picky eater and refuse to try anything new. You're also a dare devil. You will climb ladders, jump off of high things (the counter, for one). This you get from your dad. Not to mention you hate, I mean hate having your hair brushed.
Someday this might embarrass you, but you always have to be told a story when you're going number two on the potty. I find this so funny. You are so imaginative. You always have to be the main character in the stories, and i'll admit your dad's stories are the best.
This past year was a big one for you. You started school and jumped right into it without any fear or reservations. You would go to school everyday if you could, and we notice you learning all sorts of new things. There is a boy at school named Jack who you talk about frequently, and the teacher says you two are inseparable.
Most importantly, this year you became a big sister. An awesome sister. You adore little Eva, and she adores you just as much. I am constantly blown away by your patience and kindness towards her, and you are always quick to stop her crying and share your favorite toy. Today Eva went to the doctor and you were worried sick. I love that you two have each other.
The night before your birthday you told me you didn't want to be four because you thought you'd wake up bigger. This is so typical you, never missing a beat. I convinced you that you wouldn't be bigger for a long time, and that you could live with me forever. I meant it.
We love you so much Emma girl. I'm not just saying this because i'm your mom, but I really do think you're the most delightful little girl. I genuinely love spending my days with you. I'm lucky to be your momma.
Happy Birthday. xxo
No comments:
Post a Comment