February 19, 2010

What's In a Name?

People often ask how we decided on a name for our Emma. Some people have a name picked out months in advance. Sometimes names have a family tie, or hold a special meaning to the parents. Choosing to name our daughter Emma was a bit of a surprise, a last minute decision if you will. We had many names we liked. Heading to the hospital we were set on naming her Chloe or Marley, and when I think about it we never really discussed middle names. I'm not sure if we were really thinking at all! When our baby was born, she was designated the name Petunia by my mother. It was after she was born that we threw Emma in the mix. We just couldn't decide what to name her - a name that she would have forever. Something that had to suit our beautiful baby girl for the rest of her life. One, two days passed - she did not look like a Chloe or a Marley (She looked like a Joey to be quite honest). This was rough. I think Emma was always in the back of my mind - growing up I had a bald cabbage patch doll named Emma Caroline, and I can vaguely remember thinking I would name my daughter Emma someday.

Joey and I are were also sticklers on nicknames. What is Marley for short, Mar? No thanks. Would Chloe be called Chlo? Or even worse Flo? Not my daughter.

As family came in to visit we asked for opinions. Most liked Emma, and my Nana in particular loved Emma Kate. Kate is my nickname, Kathleen is my Nana, so we thought Kate was a great family name - a strong name. The birth certificate lady came in and put the pressure on, so it was then and there that we officially chose Emma Kate. Petunia no more.

For a long time I would say Emma Kate Hundertmark and didn't think it sounded quite right. Did I pick the right name? Was it the pain killers? Is she more of a Chloe like her dad wanted? But now I hear her cousins call her Emmy, and family rave about Miss Emma Kate, and I know it suits her. Her name is perfect. Emma may be the number one baby name, but our Emma is anything but ordinary.



Joey and I often discuss baby names for Baby #2 (when and if there is a baby #2). We have some contenders, but then we just laugh. God knows we won't choose a name until well after it's born. I guess we are believers in meeting the baby first, and then choosing his or her name.. even if I am a little drugged up on pain killers.

No comments:

Post a Comment