Emma; my adventurous, caring, free-spirited beauty -- and now, my why child.
Emma, we only use a little bit of toilet paper to wipe, not the whole roll.
"WHY?"
Because it's bad for the environment to use lots of paper.
"WHY?"
Because you have to kill trees, and they give us oxygen.
"Kill twees? WHY?"
Look Emma, now the toilet's clogged!
"WHY?"
This happens at least a dozen times a day, and it's exhausting - but I love her inquisitive little mind.
Everyday she says things that make me close my eyes and take a mental note, so that I might never forget. Like the way she put her chin on her shoulder yesterday and said, "I love you too, mom" even though I didn't say a word. And how she ran into the kitchen the other day to grab her stool so she could see out the living room window. She was watching the momma robin wrangle her two babies that were fledging, cheering her on and squealing with delight every time the momma would feed a baby. The babies had their momma working hard, and Emma stood watching for a good hour. There were a lot of why's -- good one's.
Our weekend went smoothly, despite Joey being gone for a whopping 3 days and 2 nights. We much prefer having him home, but we shuffled around from place to place, and thankfully I was able to con my brother into staying for the weekend.
Eva is an angel baby, making outings and traveling that much easier.
Sunday morning there was an auction going on at the house next door, and of course the kids were ecstatic that there was a concession stand just a skip and a hop away from our front door. Emma, Drew, and Ryley conned Uncle Luke into taking them for a treat. We sent the kids with a handful of quarters, and watched from the front window laughing as Luke tried to get their orders straight.
Emma's choice? Lays potato chips, even though we had a bag in the cupboard. They're her favorite.

The struggle to be a good mom to 2 littles rather than one is proving to be a constant challenge. Wanting to give 100% to both of them all the time, but learning in the process how to divide that in half. I'm getting there.
Yesterday Emma had to go potty, and her little potty wasn't set up because Joey had taken it apart to clean it. Well I was nursing Eva when she raced into the bathroom, and by the time I got Eva set down, Emma had tried to climb up onto the big potty but didn't quite make it and peed everywhere. I felt horrible. Thankfully Emma didn't seem to mind, and laughed uncontrollably when I "hosed" her off in the shower.
*******
The girls had their checkups last week with Dr. Davis. Eva weighed a whopping 11.5 lbs and was 22 1/4 inches long. Emma was 33 lbs and 37 inches (yes, as in over 3 feet tall).
My sister and I got laughing, because for some reason baby weights are such a huge deal - and always the bigger the better. Like, the first thing people ask after doctor's appointments is always well what did she weigh. Truth being some babies are petite, some babies are huge, and despite their placement on those silly growth charts, most of them turn out perfectly healthy.
Both my girls got a bill of good health, and their growing little bodies reminded me that time is so fleeting.

Summer is gracing us with her presence this week. Today is 80 and sunny, and there's more where that came from. If I didn't know better, i'd have a May baby every year so my summer's could be spent at home. There's nothing better than being with my girls, having no agenda.
Oh summer, we love you so. xxx






No comments:
Post a Comment