July 20, 2011

{10 weeks later, a birth story}

Because it's long overdue. And someday she'll read it and smile, and probably tell me i'm weird.

For the record I don't enjoy being pregnant. Food is my best friend for those 9 months. I have no inhibitions, and with both of the girls I gained right around 60 lbs. I get big. And uncomfortable. And look kinda like a freak show by the time the babies are ready to come out (God bless my husband who never says a word). But I know that the minute the sweet baby arrives those 9 months, and the 50 lbs left to lose, they are so worth it. Fertility is such a precious gift, and I feel blessed to have birthed two beautiful girls.

Eva's birth story.

Eva. A name i've always loved. It's different, yet it's simple and traditional. 
Marie, a family name. My middle name, both of my grandmother's middle names, and my mom's middle name. 

























This time around I was determined to go into labor on my own. I wanted the whole experience of being at home, timing contractions, and heading into the hospital when the time was right. Plus I had contemplated an unmedicated birth, and know that Pitocin can make contractions come on hard and fast. I had discussed this with my doctor, and as we got closer to my due date (and I was still stuck at 2 cm) she decided that if I wanted to wait she wanted to get an ultrasound to check babies size - just to be safe. I always have sugar in my urine when i'm pregnant, and that can sometimes mean a big baby.

When I got my ultrasound i'll never forget it, because the tech Sara kinda got big eyes and said she thought the baby was big. 9 lbs big, and that she was getting consistent measurements and is usually only a 1/2 lb off one way or the other. Dr. Sabharwal wanted to see me right away to discuss our plan. She asked me what I wanted to do, and said she would be surprised if baby was that big, but was more comfortable getting baby out sooner rather than later. I agreed, and we scheduled my induction for that Friday, May 6th at 6am.

 After my non-stress test on Thursday (May 5th, my due date), my doctor called and told me to come in that night at 11pm. I know that during my non-stress test the babies heart rate didn't go up and stay up 15 beats after movement, but immediately afterwards I had an ultrasound and the ultrasound tech said she could do a more thorough evaluation and that everything looked perfect. I didn't mind going in that night, so I didn't complain or question anything when I got the call.

So in we went at 11 pm, and I was anxious about leaving my Emma overnight but she was already fast asleep when Grandma Jodie arrived. My mom met us at the hospital, and I was having a few contractions on my own but still only dilated to a 2. They got me hooked up to the Pitocin, and it seemed like the contractions started immediately. We all tried to rest. Watched HGTV, played scrabble on the Ipad, and I squeezed Joey's hand as my contractions intensified. By 5am I asked for an epideral, certain I was dialated to a 10, but actually only a 3. Shortly after getting my epideral I felt really nauseous and my blood pressure started to drop, causing the babies heart rate to drop and creating a short moment of havoc. They put me on oxygen, turned me onto my side and got the doctor on the floor to come in and see me. When he checked me, he said that my water had broke and I was a 7. Funny guy, I remember him kinda chuckling and saying "this baby wants the hell out," and easing all of our worries. He said that this sudden change in status is what caused the baby's heart rate to go down, so he took me off the pitocin and got everything stabilized. I was able to continue my labor without the Pitocin, and a few hours later I was a 10. When my doctor came in she said that even though I was a 10 she was going to wait to have me push since the baby was still sitting high, so we waited an hour to start. 

I had a great epideral where I didn't feel pain, but could still feel alot of pressure and tell when it was time to push. I remember a small period of time where I thought she wasn't going to come out. I had a heck of a time getting her past my pelvic bone, and I remember watching everyone's faces as I pushed, waiting for their smiles and cheers to signal that baby was moving down, progressing. Then when she crowned I remember my doctor saying ok.. I think this baby is big.

And then she was here. After an hour and forty-five mins of pushing, miss Eva was finally born at 2:43 pm. 8lbs 3oz, 20 inches long and a head full of dark hair. Another sweet girl. She was such an awesome, perfect surprise.

They threw her right into my chest. All pink and perfect and crying. I think this was my favorite part.

Not knowing the sex of the baby was the best experience. It's hard to express the excitement I felt in words. We were all dieing to know boy, girl, boy, girl, and I'll never forget that feeling of anticipation when Dr. Sabharwal gowned up because it was getting close. She seemed just as excited as we were, and asked if we wanted Joey to see first and announce it - which he did. The room filled with cheers when she came out. 

It's funny how you remember pretty much everything about your children's births. Eva's seemed so chill, with my sweet Dr. Sabharwal and the nicest nurse - Joey, my mom and sister. They cleaned her up quick and let me hold her for the longest time.

I remember Emma coming in to meet her sister the following morning with her dad, a giraffe for baby Eva and the biggest grin on her face. She stayed most of the day. Ate chicken tenders in the chair and kept looking at her baby sister. She was so excited and didn't want to leave. We were considering other names along with Eva (Sophia, Claire, Maggie -- my other picks, Ruby, Lucy -- Joey's picks), but when we asked Emma she always said Eva. It was so tough to decide, and when they told me I could go home on a whim that day, they rushed in the birth certificate lady and I had a breakdown and sent her away. Naming your babies is so hard.

The picture I snapped of Emma when she came in the room for the first time






















Her birth seems like it just happened yesterday, yet it seems like it was ages ago. I keep writing and re-writing a thank you to my wonderful Dr. Sabharwal, who is one of my most favorite people in the world. It's hard to express how much I appreciate her - caring for me, delivering my beautiful girl (she was my doctor with Emma, but missed the delivery), and calling me at 11 o'clock on a Saturday night to check on my blood pressure. She hugged me before leaving the delivery room and kisses my girls when I go back for checkups. She is the best.

I still look at Eva all the time and can't believe she's mine. It's hard to put something as special as the birth of your child into words.

Our sweet little Eva. We're so thrilled you are here.




No comments:

Post a Comment