April 7, 2011

Nesting

Life with a 3 year old feels so, well, different. Almost like there was this transition that happened overnight from the night she was 2 to the morning when she turned 3. There's this sass in her step that wasn't there before. Complete with about 50 "RIGHT NOW!" stomping demands a day, and always followed by laughter because she knows she's being absurd. She tells me things like, "dad won't wisten to me" and points at us with demands and a funny smirk on her face. 

But in the same step, she walks around singing all day long. Frequently the I love you, you love me Barney song that I probably sang when I was 3, too. And when she sings the part "a great big hug and a kiss from me to you," I get a hug and a kiss - each and every time. She also sings Justin Beiber's song Baby Baby Baby Ohhhhh and we don't know where she heard it but it is so darn funny.

And another thing about being 3, my girl is potty trained without flaw. She waited until she was good and ready, and I can't blame her for that. 

*****

I'm nesting. I woke up with the urge to organize and clean, and that is exactly what I did all day long. I cleaned out closets, the bathroom linen closet, went through all of Emma's toys, and organized the kitchen cupboards - throwing out the expirations from 2006. And its gotta be nesting because my energy level has been nil to none, and yet today I had this urge like it had to be done right this instant, even though my back really hurt and I was moving like a sloth. I couldn't stop. It felt good, and at the moment the plan is to keep going tomorrow. Emma is my little helper in the madness, grabbing metal hangers and  old lotion bottles out of the trash saying, "this not garbage mom, this is mine!" 

So into the weekend we go, just the three of us. One of our last as a family of three. Our weekend has a blank slate, so in preparation for the little birdie, may this nesting kick carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment